2018-2019 MSWPS PRESIDENT
Carmel O’Connor is a mid career Melbourne and Western District artist. Carmel works in Painting, Printmaking and Tapestry with studios in Melbourne and Darlington. Awards: AGNSW- Archibald Prize Finalist 2002, Mortlake Art Prize- Best in Show 2016.
QUALIFICATIONS: Honour Bachelor Degree (Fine Art) Monash. Graduate Diploma of Education.
I enjoy being part of this established women’s art group because I can be among like minded people.
We meet regularly at the Ola Cohn Centre to enjoy each others company whilst discussing art history, current events both locally and internationally.
Whilst solitary in my art practice this group allows me to be connected to the broader art community in Melbourne. Please email me or see me on Facebook if you have any inquiries or wish to visit my studio.
‘Darlington Puppeteers’. 2018, Artist – Carmel O’Connor. Oil on Linen. 120cm x 120cm.
HIGHLY COMMENDED at the 109th MSWPS Annual Exhibition – Judge Jock Clutterbuck
Members of the Darlington Art Group, (left to right) Ken Bain, Marg Risbey, Geoff Risbey, Helen Leitch, Ian O’Connor, Jan Savage, Florence Charles and Joanne Jackson performed one show, as a fundraiser for the Hall maintenance.
The amateur performance Pesheepio and the Magic Fleece took place on 11 November 2017 in the Darlington Hall, Darlington Victoria.
The storey, loosely based on Pinocchio began with a magic fleece which turned into a puppet sheep. Pesheepio begins to look for this mother and in the process makes many new friends including Eddy Emu, Phasco the Koala, Kind Owl and Jiminy Dog. They all help him to find his mother by organising a “Dance” held in the Darlington Mechanics’ Institute Hall and finally Pesheepio becomes a real live sheep.
Storey written and narrated by Carmel O’Connor.
My personal motivation for the puppet show and painting was a reaction to the influx of dangerous so called ‘party drugs’ and the devastating effect on our youth who are by nature altruistic and venerable to this insidious, pervasive behaviour.
Solo Exhibitions (selected)
- 2017 New Landscapes, Marios , Fitzroy
- 2017 TAPESTRY NOW, Richmond Library, Richmond
Invitation/Group Exhibitions (selected)
- 2017 Say it with Flowers, CCHAIC, Camperdown, Victoria
- 2017 Changing Perspectives, Victorian Artists Society, Melbourne
- 2017 12 Linocut Designs – Lions Club Walk, Terang, Victroia
- 2016 Best in Show, Mortlake Art Exhibition
- 2012 Finalist, SILK CUT Linocut Award, City of Glen Eira
- 2012 Finalist, St. Patrick’s College, Art Prize, Ballarat
- 2002 Finalist, Archibald Prize, AGNSW
- 2016 image, Hegele’s Owl. Author- Sheridan Palmer. POWER Publications.
- 2006 Artlink Vol 26 No. 4 page 85
- 2005 ART + AUSTRALIA debates, dollars & delusions. Patricia Anderson. Pandora Press
- 2005 Art Monthly Australia. April 2005 No. 178, page 35
- 2002 Art Monthly Australia. November 2002 No. 155 page 21
- Monash University, Caulfield Campus Men in Doorways includes 1 tapestry and 6 paintings.
- Public Records Office of Victoria. Portrait of Harry Nunn, First Keeper of Public Records.